Bridgeport Tusler of Osseo is the 2012 Mr. Minnesota Football award winner. Becker’s Brett Watercott, the St. Cloud Times’ 2012 player of the year, was a top 10 finalist.
The press release was in my email. Here it is:
December 12, 2012
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
2012 MR. FOOTBALL AWARD: BRIDGEPORT TUSLER
Bridgeport Tusler, a running back and defensive back from Osseo High School (Northwest Suburban Conference) was named Mr. Football for 2012 by the Minnesota Football Coaches Association. The award was presented at the Mr. Football Banquet on Sunday December 9 at the Doubletree Hotel in St. Louis Park.
The Mr. Football Award is sponsored by the Minnesota Football Coaches Association (MFCA) and the Minnesota Vikings.
The Mr. Football Award was first presented in 2004. Bridgeport Tusler is the ninth player to receive the Mr. Football Award and the first from the Northwest Suburban Conference.
Here are some highlights from Bridgeport Tusler’s outstanding high school football career:
· 2-year team captain
- Let Metro with 8 interceptions, returned one for a touchdown
- Rushed for 1,173 yards and 16 touchdowns, 18 receptions for 243 yards and 3 touchdown
- Punt return average of 25 yards with 2 touchdowns
- Over 3,000 career offensive yards
- 12 career interceptions
- Northwest Suburban Conference and Special Teams Player of the Year
- KARE 11 All-Metro and Player of the Year
- StarTribune All-Metro and Player of the Year
- Pioneer Press All-State
- Minnesota Vikings All-State
- Associated Press All-State and Associated Press Player of the Year.
The other 9 finalists for the 2012 Mr. Football Award in alphabetical order were:
Marley Allison, Edina, WR/DB/RET, Lake Conference
Jake Disterhaupt, Moose Lake-Willow River, RB/LB/DB, Great Polar Conference
Chase Morlock, Moorhead, RB/LB, Independent
James Onwualu, Cretin-Derham Hall, RB/WR/DB, Suburban East Conference
Noah Scarver, Mpls. Washburn, TE/DE, Minneapolis City Conference
Shaun Schindler, Hutchinson, LB/RB, Wright County Conference
Brett Watercott, Becker, WR/DB, Granite Ridge Conference
Jake Wieneke, Maple Grove, WR, Northwest Suburban Conference
Alex Wood, Lakeville North, LB/FB, South Suburban Conference
Historian, Minnesota Football Coaches Association