I had another good week picking games in Week 2, going 12-4. Against the mythical point spread I made up, I wasn’t quite as good, finishing 8-8. That makes me 22-8 picking winners after two weeks and 17-13 against the spread.
The four games I got wrong: Holdingford beat Pierz 12-7. Congratulations to the Huskers. It looks like Holdingford is going to be a real factor in the Central Minnesota Conference race, where Maple Lake has emerged as the favorite. The Irish are ranked fourth in the state in Class 2A by The Associated Press.
Also wrong: Morris beat Paynesville 26-24. Morris is 2-0 and getting votes in the 2A state AP poll. (A note: I vote on the top six classes of the The AP poll, doing all of them except for Nine-Man and that’s because there is no Nine-Man football in the Times’ area. There also isn’t any Class 6A, but I feel like I follow it enough to be able to make a semi-educated vote.).
I got the Brainerd-Tech game wrong, too. Brainerd won 42-28. Brainerd’s the lone Class 6A school in the Central Lakes Conference.
And, Cambridge-Isanti knocked off Sauk Rapids 21-6. I went for the Storm to pull off a road upset. That was wrong.
Here’s a look at this week’s games:
* St. Cloud Cathedral at Albany – Cathedral (2-0) looked impressive in beating Little Falls 39-14 and is ranked seventh in the state in Class 3A. Albany (1-1) shut out Mora 28-0. It lost in Week 1 37-22 to Zimmerman, which is tied for ninth in the Class 4A poll. I think this is going to be a really close game. Take Albany, 28-26.
* Annandale at Glencoe-Silver Lake — Annandale (2-0) is now third in the state in Class 3A after beating Delano. Glencoe-Silver Lake has one of the state’s most-storied traditions. This will be a very tough game for the Cardinals. Glencoe-Silver Lake (1-1) lost its opener 46-21 to Holy Family Catholic. Let’s take Glencoe-Silver Lake in this classic Wright County Conference match, 28-26.
* Little Falls at Becker — Becker (2-0) is about to pick up its third blowout win in a row. Take the Bulldogs, 35-7.
* Maple Lake at Eden Valley-Watkins — Maple Lake (2-0) should win here, 28-14.
* Foley at Dassel-Cokato — Foley (1-1) and Dassel-Cokato (0-2) have had some wild games over the years. I’m thinking this one should be entertaining, too. Take Foley 28-26.
* Holdingford at Belgrade-Brooten-Elrosa — I like the Huskers here, 28-14.
* Kimball at Rockford — Let’s go with the Cubs, who are getting votes in the state 2A poll. Kimball wins 20-14.
* Ogilvie at Melrose — I like the Dutchmen to win their first game of the season, 28-14.
* Mora at Milaca — Milaca has played two excellent 4A teams, Becker and Zimmerman, and has been blown out of both games. This is a game where the Wolves get healthy. They beat the Mustangs, 28-21.
* BOLD at Paynesville — BOLD (2-0) is ranked third in the state in Class 2A, but Paynesville (1-1) is definitely competitive. Take BOLD here, 21-20.
* Howard Lake-Waverly-Winsted at Pierz — Pierz (1-1) gets its first home game and should win, 28-14.
* Rocori at St. Cloud Apollo — Rocori is 2-0 and rolling. The defending state Class 4A champions are ranked third in the state in Class 4A. Apollo is 0-2 but has played Sartell (a 6-0 loss) and Rogers (a 24-12 loss) tough. Let’s take the Spartans, 20-6.
* Royalton at New York Mills — Pick Royalton to go 3-0. Royals win, 28-14.
* Grand Rapids at Tech — I like Tech in its home-opener at its new home, St. Cloud State’s Husky Stadium. Tech wins 28-14.
* Sauk Rapids at Sartell — I think Sartell (2-0) moves to 3-0 after this one. Take the Sabres, 28-20.
* Sauk Centre at Morris Area — It’s a matchup of two 2-0 teams. I think the Mainstreeters’ combination of running back Roosevelt Austin and quarterback Patrick Knoblauch is hard to beat. Take Sauk Centre, 30-28.
That’s that for this week. Have fun and be safe.