It was a really good week for the prognosticator. I went 14-2 picking games and 13-3 against the so-called spread that I simply make up. My two wrongs were picking Foley to beat Dassel-Cokato and Sauk Centre to beat Morris Area/Chokio-Alberta. I was way wrong in both games.
The Sauk Centre game was way off because running back Roosevelt Austin was out with a knee injury. He was leading the Times’ area in rushing and may be able to get back sometime this season.
I am now 36-10 picking games, which is 78 percent right, and 30-16 against the spread, 65 percent.
Here’s a look at this week’s games:
* Albany at Milaca — Take the Huskies, who beat a previously unbeaten and state-ranked Cathedral team 28-13, to beat Milaca, which won its first game of the season last week by beating Mora. Albany wins 28-14.
* Dassel-Cokato at Annandale — Annandale went down last week to Glencoe-Silver Lake. My hunch is that the Cardinals win this one, 21-14.
* Zimmerman at Becker — This is one of the best games of the week in the state. Both teams are 3-0. Zimmerman is No. 9 in Class 4A; Becker is No. 5. I like the Bulldogs at home, 35-28.
* Eden Valley-Watkins at Holdingford — I’m taking the Huskers, who have allowed 9.7 points per game so far, best in the Central Minnesota Conference. EVW is allowing 39. Holdingford wins, 24-12.
* Mora at Foley — Mora has yet to win. Foley is 1-2, but should get back on the winning track here. Falcons win 28-7.
* Pierz at Kimball — This is the best game in the Central Minnesota Conference this week. Pierz is 2-1, with a loss to Holdingford. Kimball is 3-0 with wins over Spectrum, Belgrade-Brooten-Elrosa and Rockford. Pierz will be the best team the Cubs have faced so far. Take Pierz, 28-27.
* Princeton at Little Falls — Princeton has beaten Mora and played Zimmerman close. Little Falls has struggled in three straight losses. Take Princeton, 28-26.
* Melrose at Martin County West — Melrose easily beat Ogilvie last week to notch its first victory. Martin County West, located in Sherburn in southern Minnesota, is 2-1. The Mavericks play in the Gopher Valley Conference and play Class A ball. They have beaten Windom Area 27-0 in Week and New Richland-Hartland-Ellendale-Geneva 35-16 last week after losing 36-34 to Medford in Week 2. I’m going to go with the Dutchmen, a Class 3A program, beating a Class A team even with the long bus trip. Melrose wins 28-26.
* Paynesville at Atwater-Cosmos-Grove City — ACGC prevails in this West Central Conference matchup, 21-20.
* Willmar at Rocori — I think Rocori should cruise in this one, 35-21.
* Ottertail Central at Royalton — Royalton has managed to go 3-0 and pop into the 10th spot in the state Class A poll. Ottertail Central is 2-1 after having lost 32-12 to Browerville last week. Let’s take the home team in this Prairie Conference South Division clash, 22-18.
* St. Cloud Apollo at Alexandria — This game is at 3 p.m. Saturday. It’s Alexandria’s homecoming. Apollo has played everyone tough, but is 0-3. The Eagles have lost to Sartell 6-0, Rogers 24-12 and Rocori 35-18. Alexandria is 0-3 and given up a lot of points, allowing 39.7 per game. The Cardinals also have played three good teams, St. Cloud Tech (2-1), Fergus Falls (3-0) and Rocori (3-0). Alexandria lost to Rocori 43-0. That might hint at Apollo’s ability to win one here. Let’s take the Eagles, 24-22.
* Litchfield at St. Cloud Cathedral – Litchfield is a physical, hard-nosed team from the Wright County Conference. The Dragons will play smash-mouth football and go right at Cathedral, which lost to Albany, which also doesn’t mess around when it comes to power football. I’m taking Litchfield here, 28-22.
* St. Cloud Tech at Sauk Rapids — These have been interesting games for the past decade, with Sauk Rapids generally playing very well. Tech has a little more firepower. Take the Tigers to win 28-14.
* Sartell at Grand Rapids — Sartell is 3-0 and starting to get some attention in the state Class 5A poll as an honorable mention. This should be a Sabres win, 28-21.
* Sauk Centre at BOLD — BOLD is ranked third in the state in Class 2A and should beat the Mainstreeters, 28-14.
That’s it for this week. Good luck everyone.