Just a few quick notes off the Johnnies’ practice this afternoon at Clemens Stadium before I take a two-day hiatus from Collegeville – for a day off Sunday and high school preview work Monday.
* The team again went 11-on-11 for about a 30 minute or so chunk near the end of practice.
* Practice ended with a pair of kickers attempting extra points while the rest of the team screamed loudly, simulating game pressure. Both kicks were good.
* Former kicker Jimmie Mattson was on hand at practice Saturday and will be there again Sunday helping with the players vying to take his place. Mattson now lives in Hudson (Wis.) and works for Morgan Stanley in the Twin Cities.
* Just a note on this week’s SJU football live chat. Because I’ll be out doing prep football preview stuff Monday, there will be a special one-week time slot change. The live chat will run from noon to 1 p.m. on Tuesday at sctimes.com.
* There will be a feature story on the competition for the Johnnies’ starting quarterback job in Sunday’s newspaper. That should probably be available online later this evening.