There is more bad news on the injury front for the St. John’s football team, which returned to practice Tuesday at Clemens Stadium.
The Johnnies — who will attempt to snap a four-game losing streak when they take on Carleton at 1 p.m. Saturday in Collegeville — will be without senior defensive back/wide receiver Max Forster who suffered a broken foot early in last week’s 48-17 loss at Augsburg.
St. John’s defensive coordinator Jerry Haugen said Forster is expected to be out 4-6 weeks, making the injury essentially season-ending.
The Hopkins graduate has started for the Johnnies all season at cornerback, though he started at free safety last Saturday before being injured on the game’s second play. He has 17 tackles, including one for a loss, an interception and two pass breakups.
But he has also seen extensive time at wide receiver where he has 11 catches for 284 yards and three touchdowns. His injury is another blow to a receiving corps that already lost senior tight end Taylor Freetly for the season with a broken collarbone suffered in a loss to St. Olaf on Sept. 29.
“It’s a big loss,” Haugen said. “He’s been contributing on both sides of the ball. We’ve lost some playmakers offensively in he and Freetly. And he’s been playing well in the secondary too.”
Junior safety Dylan Graves also left Saturday’s game with a mild concussion and said Tuesday he is questionable for this week’s game against Carleton.
Junior quarterback Connor Bruns, who has been out since suffering a separated right shoulder in a loss at Concordia on Sept. 22, said Tuesday that he will not be able to return this week. But he said he expects to be ready after the team’s bye week when the Johnnies play host to Gustavus on Oct. 27.
Defensive end Jake King, who left last Saturday’s game with a deep thigh bruise, did not practice Tuesday. Neither did linebacker Taylor Dammermann or running back Nick Schneider, who were resting nagging knee injuries.